There's a new opportunity for you to develop your digital asset management skills and it was informed by your DAM admin peers.
In the fall of 2016, we embarked on a training experiment to measure customer interest in training and test some material we were considering. We invited twelve admins to join us for two days before the Widen Summit in exchange for their feedback on the content and an exploration of their training needs.
The group was a mix – in terms of the industries and organizations they came from, their experience as administrators, and their knowledge level of DAM concepts.
What we discovered was enlightening.
“It was a really useful experience that helped me to broaden the way I see a DAM administration, looking both to its core structure and end users’ needs. It was great to compare our system and challenges with other colleagues while refreshing good practices and getting new ideas. I obtained new tools and ideas for my daily work,” said Alberto Orihuela, a Digital Media Specialist, who attended after just a few months after he started working in the DAM system for Carl Zeiss Microscopy.
Experienced admins felt similarly. “The course was incredibly valuable—more so than I ever imagined. I knew there was room to improve upon the configuration of our long-established DAM, but the course really opened my eyes to all the possibilities. And having the opportunity to speak with other admins in an intimate setting, learning how they tackled common issues, was inestimable!” explained Natalie Daller, the Digital Asset Coordinator at Pampered Chef. Natalie was inspired to start a revitalization project in her Widen Collective site that she discussed in a Collective Community webinar.
In addition to the value of working in person with other admins, we learned that people wanted more time and to get deep into the topics. As a result, we’re excited about Assets Essentials, which builds on the best parts of the 2016 course to provide an unparalleled learning experience for admins of all skill levels.
Assets Essentials will address a wide range of topics that our admins struggle with. Together, we’ll cover everything from the organizational aspects of metadata and taxonomy, to human elements like user engagement and training, and the technical savvy to set everything up properly.
The three-day course is designed for administrators and power users of the Assets application in the Widen Collective. There are several elements that make it incredibly beneficial (beyond just receiving new information):
- You will learn, brainstorm, strategize, and build solutions with other admins. We know that most admins are the only person at their organization managing the DAM system. Being surrounded by and building relationships with other admins is a powerful tool.
- We’ll cover core concepts in DAM and work directly in the site. This is great for seasoned admins and people brand new to the system. A deep understanding of library concepts like metadata, taxonomy, and security goes a long way in improving or configuring your site.
- The course is held at Widen HQ in Madison, Wisconsin. That means you can connect with Widen staff from all areas to get your questions answered or start working on the plan you will develop.
- Max group size is 12 people. We’re keeping it small to give you the attention you deserve and make sure you have all the work time you need.
- At Widen, learning is an active process. That means you will be talking, moving, using whiteboards, and making plans. It won’t be three days of listening to lectures.
We’ll cover a wide range of subjects – metadata, categories, asset groups and roles, permissions, uploading (both in bulk and via carefully crafted upload profiles for your users), help text, site branding, and downloading assets.
All the Assets Essentials courses are scheduled for Tuesday through Thursday and we hope that attendees will spend Friday with us well – using the time to connect with their customer experience manager (CXM) or onboarding coach.
Our first training session is August 22-24 in Madison – you can register here. The course will be repeated in August and December and we plan to offer it monthly in 2018. Everyone is welcome – the only requirements are a Widen Collective site (which doesn’t even need to have assets in it) and global admin privileges. Prior knowledge of digital asset management not required.
We hope to see you at our Assets Essentials training in August. We look forward to helping you set up or optimize your Widen Collective site.