We’re taking a break from regular scheduled programming about digital asset management and content marketing to cover a special topic: The Funk Out Cancer fundraiser.
Funk Out Cancer began in 2009 and since then the event has raised over $100,000 for the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center through a concert, silent auction, and donations. This year, the Funk Out Cancer concert and silent auction will be held at the Majestic Theater in Madison, Wisconsin at 7:00 pm on November 14, featuring Willy Porter and Phat Phunktion.
The idea and effort for Funk Out Cancer came from Widen employee and Phat Phunktion saxophonist Al Falaschi, who lost his wife Kate Falaschi to colon cancer in 2009. To honor her memory and her playful spirit (keep in mind this is a woman who bowled on a fundraising team called “The Semi Colons” after she had part of her colon removed), Falaschi created an event that she would have enjoyed to support the center that worked tirelessly to help her fight the disease.
Past events have been stunningly successful. In 2013, Funk Out Cancer was able to provide the UW Carbone Cancer Center with over $40,000 – money that supported preliminary research on a mutant colon cancer gene and enabled the center to secure a $200,000 grant to continue the work.
This year, organizers are aiming to raise $50,000. With more corporate donations and some exciting silent auction items, it’s looking positive. To entice you to attend next Saturday, here are some interesting items to bid on.
- Citizen watch. The auction actually includes two watches, one in a men’s style and the other for women. Both are lovely.
- University of Wisconsin Badgers football signed by head coach Paul Chryst. If you are a fan of the Badgers (or know one), make sure to bid on this.
- Trek FX bicycle. A versatile bike that is perfect for city commuting or fitness riding.
- Governer’s Club room at The Madison Concourse Hotel. The Governer’s Club is for fancy people – in addition to a great room you get a complimentary breakfast, evening cocktails, and a nightly turn-down service.
- Stumpf fiddle. Yes, stumpf fiddle. If you don’t know what a stump fiddle is (like most of us), watch this video:
The fiddle we’ll be auctioning off on November 14 is currently being signed by a fleet of UW Madison coaches, including Barry Alvarez.
The Funk Out Cancer facebook page has a more complete listing of silent auction items and donors. A special thanks to the many Widen customers and employees who have donated items or money to the fundraiser.
We hope you’ll join us this weekend to support the fight against cancer and celebrate Kate Falaschi, who faced a difficult disease with grace and courage. Whether you are there or not, watch (or tag your pics with) #FunkOutCancer on Instagram and Twitter.
Advance tickets to Funk Out Cancer with Willy Porter and Phat Phunktion on Saturday, November 14th at 8:00 pm are available for $25 through the Majestic Theater’s website and will be sold at the box office for $35 on the day of the show.
Monetary donations can be made directly to the UW Carbone Cancer Center.