DAM asset management has come to play an essential role in the marketing departments of companies and non-profits from a wide variety of sectors. DAM has become especially important for those organizations and corporations that use a large digital asset library for publishing catalogs, magazines, and even newspapers. The need for DAM to house and manage assets used in large scale publishing processes was quickly realized as storage problems were generated by huge numbers of digital assets. Many of the solutions were also just as straightforward as the need.
However, the reason for acquiring DAM and the types of solutions it can provide have been changing over the past two or three years. Developments and improvements in technology (especially so for communications) have been responsible for much of these changes. To keep up with changing dynamics and demands that have resulted from the immense popularity of social media, online video content, smart phones, and cloud based applications, the best DAM systems have come up with appropriate adaptations.
In addition to the classic focus on managing rich media, newer DAM solutions have placed more of a focus on branding and management of marketing assets. The following are some of the new trends in DAM:
- Increasing types of media related technologies- The numbers and types of technologies developed for interacting with media have experienced a jump in the past few years. As social media, videos, and mobile devices continue to increase in popularity, related technologies will also keep on increasing in number. Many of these will likely be niche-based solutions.
- Brand management needs- DAM systems are becoming vital tools for effective branding due to the centralized control they provide over huge numbers of assets.
- Expansion from traditional publishing and large scale marketing applications- DAM systems still do this, but they also increasingly provide solutions that improve brand consistency, localization, and increase overall efficiency for a quicker production to market time frame.
- Data analytics- The centralized location of assets in a DAM system allows for effective ROI analysis of marketing assets.
- Work-flow automation- There has been an increasing focus on developing DAM systems that allow customers to easily show their digital assets on devices such as tablets and smart phones.
- DAM in the cloud and as software as a service- DAM systems offered in these platforms allows for a more cost-effective and efficient approach to managing DAM systems and appeals to companies that only need access to certain types of features.
To experience the best in adaptable digital asset management programs, take a demo of Widen software as a service DAM now.