Considering Digital Asset Management usually starts with a trigger event like we mentioned in the post “Who’s all here at DAM Happy Hour”. In these cases the need for DAM is apparent and those roles are actively seeking a way to overcome that pain. But often times many who are in need of a digital asset management solution are either unaware that a system exists or they don’t know to what extent that system could benefit them.
- Who creates your photos, images and marketing materials? What happens to them after they’re created? Do they get used? By whom? How do they access them? How often?
- What formats are commonly requested? Do your users all have access to Photoshop and other creative applications?
- Does anybody's job require manual time spent fielding requests for assets?
- Does anybody's job require maintenance of some internal file folder structure / shared location?
- Does everyone always find what they're looking for when requesting assets?
- Has anyone ever had to recreate a lost asset because they couldn't find it or it was deleted?
- Has anyone ever used an asset that was out of date or incorrect? What were the implications?