Multichannel Merchant had an article by Melissa Dowling titled Software Selection Smarts yesterday, which included several good tips about selecting a software vendor.
What to look for when selecting a software vendor?
- Proven success in your niche
- Cultural fit between organizations
- Complete package vs. custom technology
- Future functionality requirements
- Training and user adoption
After reading the article and dissecting the main points I had an “Aha! Moment” recognizing that these are all reasons contributing to the popularity of Software as a Service (SaaS), particularly in this economic climate where it is difficult to justify large capital expenditures on software, hardware and a reallocation of IT resources.
Successful SaaS providers grasp these points and are the reason why they continue to be the answer to software questions in this economic climate...
- Proven success in your industry and with people in similar roles
- Cultural fit as an extension of your business and/or functional areas
- Configurable package options without heavy need for customization
- Shared transparency of future product roadmap to align with the goals of the customer
- Widespread user adoption achieved through proper training, marketing support and ongoing tech support
These factors are what drives the ongoing success of a software implementation at any company dealing with restricted budgets, too much on the” to-do list,” increased demand of specialization and fewer resources to focus on the core business. Whether you’re looking for an enterprise digital asset management system or hosted DAM software for your SMB or agency, consider these factors for any marketing or creative software.