Your company’s brand is the culmination of every experience a person has with your organization. It tells the world who your company is, and what you do. It is a differentiator that identifies your products or services as distinct from others in your market. And it’s a compass for making business decisions.
A range of elements — both tangible and intangible — contribute to a brand, including tone, voice, and visual design. And each of these elements are thoughtfully and strategically developed over time, using brand assets.
What are brand assets?
A brand asset is a file or resource that contributes to the holistic perception of a brand. This includes logos, graphics, templates, social media images, product photos, video footage, and more. Any strong brand is a composite of a wide range of brand assets.
Together, they tell a story about a company’s products, services, and purpose to a range of audiences — including customers, employees, partners, analysts, the media, vendors, and contractors. Through coordinated efforts across distribution channels and touchpoints, marketers use brand assets to make every experience a person has with them as consistent, relevant, and memorable as possible. And because people will pay more for brands that they view positively, brands assets have enormous value.
How to leverage brand assets
No doubt about it — brand assets are critical to the success of any brand. And marketers that maximize the value of these assets are able to extend the reach and impact of their marketing efforts. Here are a few strategies for leveraging the value of your brand assets effectively:
- Create easy access to approved assets. Brands rely on a strong creative workflow in order to create engaging and consistent brand assets. And in order to use those assets effectively, everyone needs to know where to find them. This includes internal team members, external partners, and other stakeholders.
A centralized, searchable repository that’s easily accessed ensures that assets can be quickly and securely retrieved across the globe. In our multi-channel world, every customer touchpoint matters so each and every brand asset must be aligned! Reliable access to the right assets will maximize their use, while protecting your overall brand integrity.
- Take advantage of versioning. Version control allows you to manage and track each iteration of a brand asset from one location. This aggregated file history allows teams to trust that they are using the correct file. Further, version control gives creatives a point of reference to retrieve prior versions of an asset if it needs to be reused. Thus, using the right version of a brand asset bolsters brand consistency, saves time and money, and reinforces the value of your assets.
- Maintain strong brand guidelines. Brand guidelines are rules or best practices that are designed to ensure consistent use of your brand assets. They include everything from HEX colors and logo sizes, to product terminology and directions for tone and voice.
Because these guidelines are intended to evolve along with your brand, they should be stored in a central location that’s easy to access and refer to regularly. And because adherence to brand guidelines ensures that your brand assets are being used correctly, you’re able to realize a greater return on your creative investment.
- Coordinate distribution across channels. Using the same brand assets across media channels allows marketers to avoid workflow redundancies. For example, if the same image is used by your content team for a blog post, your social team in their Twitter feed, and your video team as part of commercial, not only are they presenting a cohesive message but they’re also getting the most bang for your brand asset buck. Content reuse also allows your team to spend less time duplicating efforts, and more time telling your brand story.
- Arm yourself with content analytics. Understanding the performance of your brand assets will also help you maximize their value. Monitoring asset usage and download activity helps clarify which brand assets are most used, and which are underused. This data can drive strategic decisions around content creation, campaign direction, resource allocation, talent acquisition, and more.
- Localize your messaging. Modifying your brand assets to resonate with a particular geographic market or demographic can help you create an experience that’s relevant to your audience...without duplicating work! Templates with customizable copy can help you get many additional — and valuable — miles from your brand assets, without requiring extra support from your creative team.
Brand assets are the building blocks of effective brand experiences. Maximizing the value of your most effective brand assets can help you raise your brand awareness, improve your brand perception, and enhance your customer loyalty...resulting in higher revenues and business success.
Keeping all of these assets organized and searchable, however, is no small task. Effective brand management entails strategies and tools, such as a digital asset management (DAM) solution. DAM technology can help you and your team organize, share, and analyze your content across teams, locations, and campaigns. Contact us today to see how the Widen Collective® can help you manage your brand.