Prior to using this new Digital Asset Management solution you had a way of doing things and a number of tools to do them. Now how will this new system work with those that you’re currently using? Will things mesh well and carry over or are you going to have to scrap everything you’ve worked with and start fresh? This is integration and the easier it integrates the better. With the same price, service and functionalities, the system that can be implemented with the least effort will be the one that stands out.
When service, functionality and price are exactly the same among the DAM systems considered, here are some questions to ask about integrating that new solution:
- Can this system work with current photo, video, and creative editing programs and/or those that use these applications?
- Can you do mass uploads to the DAM system of your assets currently stored on CDs, desktops, shared drives and other locations?
- Will the metadata used for these assets be carried over to the new system?
- Can you have a single sign on for your intranet or internal network that will automatically sign you into the DAM system?
- Will the DAM solution be able to maintain the same governance or authentication of users as the internal networks have?
- What will the learning curve be for admin users, general users?
- Can assets that are stored in your solution be sent to Web pages or CMS programs?
- Can the DAM system share previews and metadata with other systems that can use and/or feed this data?